CALL OF ELECTION AND REQUEST FOR ARGUMENTS "FOR" OR
School districts received a base level amount of $3,326.54 per student from the Arizona Department of Education (ADE) for Maintenance and Operation based on Average Daily Membership (ADM) for the 2013-14 school year. The adjusted base level amount, which includes adjustments for teacher compensation and career ladder, is $3,435.48.
|Restore Specials at Elementary||$1,500,000|
|Restore Elementary Band and Strings||$140,000|
|Class Size Staffing Ratio Reduced by 3||$3,500,000|
|Teacher Horizontal Movement (prior year)||$969,700|
|Staff Salary Increase (2%)||$2,617,050|
|Restore Department Chair Supplemental||$117,000|
|Restore Assistant Principals (7)||$600,000|
|Restore Desert Canyon Principal||$95,000|
• School districts may receive additional money from voter approved initiatives, such as the Maintenance & Operations (M&O) Override.
|• “Specials” at the elementary level are reduced by half (Art,
Music, PE and Band /Strings at middle schools) in 2014-15.
• Override funds are used to supplement the state funding
formula and cannot be used to build buildings or buy desks
and computers. These dollars help provide a comprehensive
• Through voter approved overrides, school districts are allowed to increase their budgets.
• With an M&O Override, a district can increase its operating
budget by up to 15 percent. Overrides are in place for up to 5
years, and can be used for expenses within the M&O budget.
• Currently, SUSD has a 10 percent M&O Override that was
renewed in 2007. This Override was first approved in 1989 and
has been a cornerstone in SUSD for 25 years.
• At the end of the 5th year, the funding begins to decrease.
• The current 10 percent M&O Override began to phase out in FY 2014 and FY 2015 (loss of $8,656,000).
• The District currently has a 5 percent K-3 Override that was
renewed in 2009. Which funds full day Kindergarten.
• The 10 percent M&O Override and the 5 percent K-3 Override
currently total $11.5 million in funding.
• SUSD continues to have the lowest combined tax rate,
including the current overrides, among our peer districts.
• The override will cost Scottsdale taxpayers an additional .414
cents per $100 of assessed valuation. (An example of taxes on a $360,000 home would be an additional $120 per year.)
View the full presentation here
Please join Scottsdale Unified School District (SUSD) to learn factual information about the Maintenance and Operations (M&O) Override that will be on the November ballot. SUSD Chief Financial Officer Daniel O’Brien will also be available to answer any questions the community has regarding the budget and this school funding mechanism. See schedule.